Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Thursday 10/14 (42 days left)

So we arrived in class, largely wordlessly, on Thursday to present our afunctional project. We were all mad/disappointed/overtired/possibly concussed (well maybe that was just me). We presented third, surrounded fully by groups who stripped down their design and made something functional rather than formal or conceptual. I think the best phrase used to describe our week was "eyes larger than our stomachs". Instead of going with something we knew we could make work, we attempted to go above and beyond to combine it with an interesting concept, but ultimately failed to do so. 

The teachers (or at least John) described it as a "courageous failure", and I remember thinking to myself that courageous or not, failure was not acceptable. I brooded during the final presentation, ate by myself, and cooled off in time for our trip to the exhibition space we will be using in December. The space was interesting, and the bus trip to and from the NCRC gave us an interesting opportunity to interact between groups. Until then my experience with members of the class that weren't my group was limited, but this was an interesting way to meet a few of my classmates.

I think the most striking space in the NCRC was the large exhibition room. Between the large columns and high ceilings, the opportunities (in terms of scale anyway) seemed endless. I left feeling excited to start a new project and to have a killer space in which to exhibit it.

Our next assignment was called "Team Design". We were tasked with developing a framework in which our team would function- a Mission and a set of Visions, Values, and Goals that we would hope to achieve.We talked this over preliminarily before leaving class for fall break (after Friday, of course).

No comments:

Post a Comment